Some SF Themes I'd Like To See In 54mm Toy Soldiers

If I have three consistent interests, they are military history, fantasy and science fiction. It is because I like all three that I often combine them as I do in many of my wargames.

As far as science fiction goes my favorite sub-themes are time travel and alternate history.

A less well-known Australian SF story was The Time Guardian. A city of the future must constantly move to avoid the rampaging cyborgs called the Jen Diki. Other aspects of the story line borrow heavily from the Terminator movies with a human going back in time (in this case to a tiny outback town) there is a romantic interest from the 29th century sheila and a threat from time travelling cyborgs, as well as bungling and unpleasant cops. What I like about the cyborgs is their vaguely samurai appearance and their slow but relentless movement. They also look suitably evil as we get a glimpse of the shriveled, once human creatures within (shades of Daleks and Cybermen).



  Another SF series I really like I encountered as a boy in Look and Learn magazines where it took up two color pages. it was also in Eagle annuals. A whole history of a planet is described. The sapient beings are basically human although some have green skin. There are many monsters and alien versions of horses. The vehicles and aircraft are similar to those on Earth and include biplanes and jets but they have their own quirky differences. The imperial troops include basically Roman looking warriors with ray guns and swords.

 There is something about Romans, especially the ones that Timpo styled their figures on.

I have some busted up Timpo Romans that I am going to use in alternate timelines and SF. For example, my fantasy campaign nations includes Patra which has ancient Romans alongside Greeks and Egyptians. They defeated Fezia along its Eastern border last campaign and consequently will have access to cannons and muskets. I want to make some Romans equipped with matchlocks and flintlocks as well as more advanced weaponry for future conflicts.


Below Timpo solid plastic Roman with swoppet Roman shield. I forget where the horse came from, but it could be Starlux.


                     These two Warhammer Vampires don't belong here but they sneaked in.


These photos are from my old store of pics. I am waiting for a new camera I bought on Ebay as the old one refuses to work.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts