Weather In Campaign Game

 I don't often factor in weather in my wargames, mainly because there are so many other things to think about, so I forget. However, if I nicely type the details out and stick them on my wall I might remember.

  The rules I came up with are deliberately simple, otherwise I definitely won't use them! My eyes glass over whenever I read excessively detailed rules and I start thinking of a holiday on the beach. Reading new Warhammer rules tend to have that result. If only they stayed pretty much the same, I might still be playing them. But I don't recall, even Warhammer having rules for weather, carnivorous plants yes.

                            

                                                            RULES FOR WEATHER

                                                  Using a D6 roll for inclement weather:

6 = Rain/moisture

Roll again:

1/ Heavy Fog lasting D6 moves. Short range shooting at -1. Movement halved except for Undead, spirits and demons. Aircraft grounded.
2/ Light rain - no effect.
3-4/ Rain - 1/4 flintlock muskets can't shoot, 50% of matchlocks can't shoot

5/ Heavy rain - 1/4 bowmen can't shoot, 50% of all muskets can't shoot.

6/ Torrential Rain - No shooting. Cannons can shoot if a preliminary 5 or 6 is rolled first and only at short range. QUAGMIRE: Movement halved except for water creatures, anything under water, spirits, vampires and demons. No charge bonuses for cavalry.

If heavy rain continues past six moves the same movement penalties apply

DESERT - Rain occurs only on a roll of 20 on a 20 sided dice which is rolled after a theoretical rain result.

WIND

(Determine direction with direction dice) Direction of target, bonus, opposite direction, deduction Sideways, minus D3 to hits

1-2/ Light no effect

3/ Moderate - 5cm modification to archery

4/ Strong - 10 cm modification

5/ Very Strong - 10cm modification to bows & 1/2 off movement except vampires, demons, spirits and creatures or vessels under water.

6 Gale. Movement ceases except for spirits, vampires, demons and creatures and vessels under water


Comments

  1. Don't underestimate bad weather conditions. Especially not fog and darkness which reduces sight. Then it's probably easier to move, but more difficult to use ranged weapons effectively.
    Cold and snow will probably reduce pace of movement and reaction time if poor equipped for winter warfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roger. I have added fog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts