Making Resin Copies Of Airfix Space Warrior And Lone Star Mexican

 I decided to make copies of a couple of less common old plastic figures. First up is an Airfix space warrior. I picked a figure which works well in a mass unit, He looks like he means business as he moves forward. The gas mask-like helmet is also a winner. The original figure I had undercoated ready to paint. When I poured the warm (but not hot) Glycerin/gelatin mixture over it no paint came off.

  I already have a handful of these figures painted up but padding them out with the odd resin figure is not a bad idea. However, after the first casting the mold was leaking so I will melt the mold down and maybe make a new one later. The resin figure had some imperfections on the base but they look like terrain so i didn't cut them off.


  I never saw or had the Lone Star Mexican as a child but got this in later life. The original figure had lost his knife so I added a new one from a HK swoppet Indian. 

  Unfortunately. part of the base snapped off when I was making the mold, a risk with using old plastic figures when removing them from the molds. However, it glued back well enough with some Super Glue. I also coated the figure with Modge Podge and haven't decided if I'll restore the original colors by painting it. The jacket and leggings were a lightish-medium blue and the poncho yellow. There was no paint on the base or hat but I am guessing the hat might have come unpainted. I have got a second Mexican, somewhere, which is in better condition and still has its dagger.

  The resin figure came out quite well with a small imperfection on hand and part of the poncho fringe missing, things easily fixed with Green Stuff. My intention is to paint it a more detailed version of the original and to mole a few others converted with different weapons or/and flag.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts