True Legend Fantasy Barbarians Completed

I had some fun with these. I took a fantasy barbarian and made a number of variations mostly more fantastical than the original. The exception is the flag bearer. Originally I was going to use an old Warhammer flag of a snarling wolf head but couldn't find it so I used another one depicting a historical Viking flag which fitted the theme of animal costume. The Vikings often included wolf or bear heads and furs. I took it a step further to include reptile, and bird. The bird takes to forms, metal and feathers and depicts the Bogavanian Snookumookum bird. However the flag bearer looks more historical as I gave him a conservative conical helmet after scalping and trimming his locks. The trousers were added from putty as were the boots. The other figures mainly show off their muscular legs and sport sandals, which gives a more ancient look.  The swords were left, unserviceable looking though they are except for the flag pole and the Timpo ax. The blue war paint was a Celtic touch although the Celts usually left the head free of the paint or tattoos.

The figures are a little under 54mm so I used fiber board for bases as it is slightly thicker than the card I usually use

Will the real Conan please stand up? Conan is bare headed and an unaltered figure from the true legends set.









         The rear view shows the long hair, which in some cases becomes part of the headdress.


The PVA is still a little milky as I took these photos not long after I PVAd the bases and added flock. Incidentally, my bases are generally first coated with PVA followed by a sand mix. When dry I paint this a sand color. When that is dry I add a light brown wash to the base. When that is dry I dab the PVA again but not over the whole base and then I add the flock which is mostly static grass. Sometimes I mix this with other flocks or/and sand, depending on how lush I want the bases to look. For desert I am more sparing with flock or leave it off and dry brush with white mixed with sand.
The only problem with PVA is you can't let it get wet or it will become milky again, although it will eventually dry. The figures are also over-coated with PVA with a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid to aid coverage - just a drop or two. This is later over-coated again with spray artist's fixative followed by uses of varnishes of different levels of mat or gloss for different surfaces.

Comments

Popular Posts