Royalist Ravings and Reports.

Greetings to viewers in Serbia, Croatia, Finland, Denmark, Vietnam, Austria, Iceland, Japan, Peru and Argentina! No I am not going to list every country. I just surveyed my viewing list and those names stayed in my head.
This coming Tuesday is our holiday for...wait for it... a horse race. Yes it will be the Melbourne Cup. I wonder if any other countries have holidays for a sporting event. But what do I care, so long as we have a holiday. Anyway, that is the date I have set for the completion of the garden Crussian campaign. I wonder if the Hermans will change their strategy, as at present it looks like they have little hope of obtaining their objectives. But maybe I am getting over confident and consequently setting myself up for a fall!
Recently Australia was visited by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth. She has visited Australia at least fourteen times, the first being in 1954. She was a truly beautiful and poised young queen. She is still an elegant and gracious lady. Our then prime minister, Robert Menzies remarked, 'I did but see her passing but I shall love her till I die'. He was criticized as being over the top but I understand his sentiments. I was six when the queen first visited. I still remember singing God Save the Queen at morning assemblies. I can remember all the words, which is more than I can say for our present anthem, Advance Australia Fair.

Even my dad, who reflects his father's Irish part of my ancestry, and no friend of the British establishment, has a kind word to say of the queen, whose dedication to duty and kind ways seem to have no end. I love the queen, for her qualities, but also for her symbol of the fact that we are not a republic and of our link to the British Isles. She is also a link to my memories of growing up in Australia. The queen's portrait was in every school room and that was a lot nicer than the movie posters that now adorn them.

But I have an admiration for another royal which, perhaps, is not so often voiced, Prince Philip! Maybe he is a little more free than the queen. Decorum does not have quite so strong a stranglehold. For example, when an Aboriginal dance group performed with a mixture of didgeridoos and modern pop music he remarked, "You won't see that in the bush, will you!' His off the cuff comments, so free of political correctness, are refreshing and often very insightful!

Which brings me to my latest photos. I curse the limitations of my camera and apologise that some of my photos aren't clearer. I obtained the 1930s open Britains Royal Coach from a lady selling on eBay. It has three pairs of horses and I think it is missing one pair, as well as the riding coachman. I am told that for $100 it was a reasonable purchase. It is now the Redian Rotal Coach.

Once I finish the Crussian game I am planning some future games. One will be a 2000 points a side Warhammer 40 K game of my Dark Eldar versus Ryan and Matt's Imperial Guard and Chaos. The other will be another garden game, this time of American Civil War. I haven't dusted those off for a while, except to supplement my Edwardian armies. I haven't decided on the size of the game yet but will probably have about 500 figures a side. Hopefully all that will happen before Christmas, which reminds me of another project.

I am collecting Santa sleighs to make Crussian machine gun sleighs!
 I




Comments

Popular Posts