Empire Great Swords

As I am currently reproducing a Warhammer Imperial army in 54mm I decided that my next unit would be Great Swords. This unit is equipped with two handed swords and plate armour with some Renaissance touches in glimpssof pufffed sleeves and plumed hats.

I looked through my Medieval boxes for knights with two handed weapons. I settled on HK copies of Britains Detail crusaders and some other made in China cheap medieval figures equipped with axes. I removed the crosses from the Detail copies and removed the axes from all but one of the other figures - this one would be distinguished as a Sergeant. I added putty knee and elbow plates, beards and hats to them.

These latter figures are usually in black plastic with painted faces and red tunics. They can also be in silver. They come with some nice kneeling crossbowmen and mounted knights. I don't know if they are originals or copies. As they are in chain mail I may paint the armour thickly to disguise it as plate armour.

The swords are Britains Detail. I also converted two Cresent knights. I particularly like this bare headed figure and often pick up ones with damaged swords that are given a new life. In this unit the two Cresent figures will be an officer and a standard bearer.

 

Comments

Popular Posts