And now for something grotesque - Dark Eldar Grotesques

After an unmitigated series of Dark Eldar defeats I am trying a secret weapon - Grotesques. The Hamonculus  has been hard at work transforming his er... patients into muscle bound masses of power.

The main problem is that these resin figures work out at $40 each. I bought two and kept some parts to convert a rat ogre and a 'normal' ogre - both metal models I got in a bulk deal.

The GW figures have copped some flack. I think they are nicely sculpted and the pose is fine but there is only one pose. There is also only one alternative arm, this holding a liquefier gun. An alternative head would also be good.

The rat ogre had his tail and head removed and a putty skirt added. He and the other ogre had putty helmets replace their heads. I think the resultant heads are rough and I may replace them one day if I ever get the Talos kit which has some suitable spare parts. The spines were built up with putty and  cannisters  and scrap plastic spikes were imbedded and strengthened with Super glue.
The four figure unit will be accompanied by an archon and a harmonculus riding on a raider, probably supported by an incubi unit. The only problem with building up elite units is that then the troop slots tend to suffer.





I had my first Dark Eldar victory for a while when I came up against John's Space Marines n a 1500 point game. The scenario was annihilation with night fighting on the first move and set up 12 inches from the centre and diagonal division of the battlefield. The Grotesques were.. er.. christened but not much was left for them to deal with after the combined attack of my Talos, wyches and Incubi finished with the Space Marines. I had not used a Talos for a while but it soaked up the attention while the rest of the forces advanced, these being a raider with the Incubi, which also shielded the wyches advancing on foot with a haemonculus. The Grotesques, accompanied by my Archon and another haemonculus, paused their raider to shoot the dark lance at the Space Marine dreadnaught, first immobilizing it before later destroying it.
My Voidraven bomber later arrived with some Kabalites on foot to complete the carnage. Some Kabalite Trueborn with blasters on a Venom and a small unit of wyches never arrived from reserve but were not needed.
The Space Marine flyer arrived late and the Dark Eldar Ravager, armed with disintegrators wiped out the Space Marine snipers. Amazingly, the Dark Eldar suffered no casualties whereas the Space Marines were destroyed except for a damaged flyer and the commander.

I have always found Space Marines to be a beatable opponent but the Dark Eldar have been having more problems with massed battle lines of Imperial Guard. However, I had the advantage of going first and John kept half his force in reserve, which limited his shooting when it was needed.









 

Comments

Popular Posts