Old School Vikings

From Kirk Douglas to Hagar Vikings were depicted with horns and wings in their helmets. Of course now we know better and so do most movie makers. They were just ceremonial items or they would be too awkward. I wonder about hat last bit though. I just bought the new Osprey book on the Carthaginians and their are plenty of warriors with various huge projections on their helmets and ...horns. Bronze Age Sea Peoples and also Gaelic types seem to have had various projections on their helmets.

I used to go to a great deal of trouble to cut off all the horns and wings on my Viking helmets but now, for five reasons, I don't always do this: 1 - some of the figures are too collectable to cut bits off, 2 - the figures can double as Celts etc., 3 - half the time I use my Vikings in fantasy settings anyway so I won't quibble over the helmet details, 4 - just maybe a small number Vikings did have such helmets in battle and 5 - they jut look cool.

The Vikings below were, with the exception of the one with the bronze helmet, copies of Fontanini 60 mm figures. The other one is a metal Lone Star Leif Erickson. I noticed that the Lone Star figure looks very much like one of the Fontanini ones in the face, armour and cloak.





 

Comments

Popular Posts