Battlefield Accessories Aztec-Maya Pyramid

I saw this pyramid (pic to come) in Nick's Eureka Miniatures shop a year ago. I finally got around to ordering one from the maker, Mike Parker. It is made of wood and a You tube video by the maker clearly gives step by step instructions and just as well. As a school student I was pitiful at making Woodwork models, so bad in fact, that I normally received the class demonstration model. So it was with some trepidation that I opened the package and looked at the bewildering variety of shapes to be assembled.

Following the step by step instructions I paused the video at each stage and took my time with the wood glue. Hey, it was not so hard! In fact it was starting to take shape. The steps were the trickiest part but with patience I threaded the end bits into the stair walls. It was nearly done. I left the last bit of staircase to dry. After returning to it I noticed that the last stairway was a little warped as some of the step lugs were not firmly in place. Hmm .. just need a hammer to knock them in and show who is boss! Oh, my show will do. Bad move. But at least I did not use the hammer! About four step pieces broke into two or three pieces. I should have known my assembly skills would fall down somewhere. But I would not give up. I glued the pieces together with PVA and glued some tooth picks on the hidden sides of the steps, followed by some glue gun resin. I realized a little late that some of the glue and sticks mad assembly difficult but managed to rectify and ended up with just a slight bow in a couple of steps.

The scale of this pyramids is ideally for 28 mm with steps a bit wider than historical ones but  designed to allow figures to stand on them. I shall mostly be using the pyramid for 1/32 -1/29 as i haven't found a larger source. The Barzo pyramid i already have is a similar scale but has only one staircase - the new one has four.

This pyramid will be used in a wargame tomorrow so stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts