Russian Made Vikings

I just finished yet more Vikings/Hillmen. I love these hard plastic Russian made ones. I have quite a few now and as far as I know they are made by Technolog. My Viking type forces now consist of around 100 painted figures. I also have increasing numbers of assorted Celts and other ancient barbarians who could also serve as 'Hillmen'.

The Technolog figures include some plausibly historical figures and others that are more like Conan the barbarian type figures. There was a time when the latter would have undergone some plastic surgery to make them more historical with no horned helmets or bare legs but now I just look at them and like them because they look good and also because my wargames where I use these figures are fantasy oriented anyway.

The figures on the right are plausibly historical although I did go with a fantasy theme in painting red eyes on one of the wolf skins.


  I'm not sure about the ones with the gravity defying braids whether they were meant to be Vikings. They could also have served as Mongols with a different skin and hair colour.
   The one with the big cat fur is my favourite. It looks like a sabre tooth although not an especially big one. I decided to go with some exotic fur colouring and red painted horns on the helmet.


By the way, the figures did not come with bases as they are meant to be knocked down by children using suitable projectiles. I have given them 4x4 cm card bases with my usual mixture of bare ground and greenery.

Of course, only after publishing do i notice the bits I missed with the painting, notably on the Sabretooth figure's helmet and spots where the black undercoat shows through where not wanted. Some unwanted flocking dust is also one some figures so i still have some tidying up to do.

Comments

Popular Posts