British Guardsmen

As a child in the 60s, I received a handful of British guardsmen in, a mixture of old Britains leads and some Cresent plastics. I usually combined them with an old tin plate car, which held Her Majesty (with no actual figure for her) and a Lego armored car, complete with revolving turret.  I think my Lone Star Aussies, with jeep towing cannon and a bazooka man might also have got a look in as part of the column. The Timpo swoppet Germans and Lone Star Afrika Korps, supported by Cresent and Lone Star metal cannons and armored car would try to ambush this column!

Some years ago, my much augmented british guardsmen participated in an invasion of America in the 1860s or 70s. They either sided with the Confederacy or, by default, united the two American countries in opposition to the invasion. The Brits were also augmented by my metal Fort Henry Guards, and a regiment of plastic Accurate figures painted as British volunteers for the Italian Garibaldi wars. The guardsmen i used were mostly Britains Detail with some Timpo and also old metal guardsmen.

In my bedroom I have a display case of assorted collectables (yes, most rooms in my house have a toy soldier display case, although not in the bathroom or kitchen yet). One shelf sports various plastic British ceremonials. Anyway, they have been there so many years that they have gathered much dust. I decided to start with the Britains Detail as they are the most robust. I plonked them in a saucepan of detergent and water and gave them a good swirl and several rinses and put them on the back verandah to dry off.

This is what I like about Britains Detail figures  you don't see many broken ones because the vinyl plastic has stood the test of time. I'd be a lot more careful with Eyes Right Britains plastics and Timpo. And with hollow cast I'd be worried about moisture being retained inside the figures to cause corrosion.


                                          Here are the Detail figures freshly washed.

  I think someone re-painted some bases a darker green. The figure with black edging on the base was painted by me some decades ago.
                 This is a collection of original hollow cast and home castings. They might be 'ceremonials' but as far as i am concerned , they are always there for battles.
  I think the green cat sets off the red coated scene quite nicely! The household cavalry are home castings or repainted originals. Bases are really a good idea as I hate to see my soldiers turn into dominoes..
             All snug in great coats, they haven't moved for a while, hence the occasional cobweb!
Complete with Redian, Funny Little Wars flags flags. One kneeling figure has been given a bare head - obviously they are engaged in combat and the poor chap had his hat shot off!
                                                 Some line infantry can also be seen here.

                                                  Herald
           Cresent in front. The 60mm ones at left are nicest. The swoppet Cresent would look good except for the strange stunted legs. At back are Cherlea.
                                Unknown but most likely English made and one has medals.
                                       Lone Star. The blue hats came out bluer than what they were.





 I went on a photo binge, not stopping at the Britains Detail. I also went to the games room displays and photographed my metal guardsmen and some conversions from Accurate of Crimean War era figures in great coats. Then I cleaned up my Cresent, and others. Timpo will be next.






Comments

Popular Posts