Bermudiana, A Toy Soldier Nation - Book Review

Normally I would place a book review in my book review section but this time I am making an exception. I picked up this book, Bermudiana: a short history of a mythical 19th century land. when perusing the Internet. It is stated that it is written' by Hon, Harold R. Pestana, CB, BC, JB, BJK etc'.

Anyone who is a regular reader of my blog would now how much I like imaginations. I have my own medieval fantasy countries, Bogavania ans Beerstein. I also assemble armies for Ruritania and Gerolstein thhe 19th century nations with origins in literature and opera. I am also fully subscribed to the Little Wars and Funny Little Wars nations that are analogues of real nations but with their own variations. Paul Wright, in his book, Funny Little Wars developed army lists for the various colours - Army Black, Red, green and so on.

Mark with the blog, Man of Tin, also dedicates much of its inspiration to the Brontes with the Glasstown nations.

Bermudiana is an island nation with its own history as a British colony which has its own armed forces. The economy, history, culture and even the national drink milk mixed with wine) are discussed.

Regimental histories, flags and uniforms are described and illustrated with some nice color sketches and photos of toy soldiers, as well as black and white photos of scenic places. The soldiers look like converted old hollowcast, such as Britains. The primary tunic color, with a few exceptions, notably, and understandably, the Rifles, is pink. the toy soldiers are engaged in a multitude of tasks, including milking cows and messing about in the mess.

The book is 69 pages and ring bound.

I find the book to be an inspiration to any of us who would like tomput our fertile imaginations to good use.





Comments

  1. The name Harold Pestana rings a bell, he may be a toy soldier collector?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is highly likely Brian, as the book includes many pictures of toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts