Man Of Tin, Another Toy Soldier Blog

I thought I'd just give a plug to this great blog, not least because I mentioned it in my last blog and wrote the name of another blog by mistake.

Mark is a dedicated Bronte sisters and brother fan, particularly in reference to their early fiction . These isolated children created their own nations with maps, complicated stories and characters set partially in the tropics and colonized by British characters, some based on real people like Wellington. They mentioned invented regimental uniforms and histories and Mark intends to recreate much of this.

Mark also does some unusual things such as painting modern troops in red and blue. His repaints of old hollowcast into a red and a blue force look very pleasing.

One of his recent blog posts concerned his conversion of a quaint little wooden building with over-sized bird house; the actual whole building as originally a bird house too. the end result is a train station house photographed with various equally quaint old hollowcast as well as more recent plastics.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention James - glad you are still enjoying the blog.

    Really interesting to read about the Harold Pestana fictional Victorian land - right up my Bronte Street! I dimly remember or recall his name from Toy Soldier books about Malcolm Forbes former collection.
    Mark, Man of TIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first time visiting this blog spot - saw it mentioned in the FLW group. Like you, I am very much an 'Imaginations' fan, and have developed - or should I say, partially developed - several of my own in several different periods. Mostly they are closely modelled upon historical antecedents - e.g. the Empire of Trockenbeeren-Auslese upon 18th Century Austria, and its rulers, the Emperor Violoncello and his successor Empress Harmonica upon Charles VI and Maria-Theresa. Their arch-enemy, the Elector-King Draco of the House Spitzensparken reigns over a Prussian-like Altmark-Uberheim. Leading the Imperial army is the Archduke Piccolo a cousin of the Empress.

    But I have other Imaginations from Mediaeval times (the Ionian Empire) and the Wars of the Clover (Pink and White); 30YW (Austeria vs Severia); Amazonian Civil War (ACW); the rivalries of Ruberia (RED) and Azuria (BLUE), the potential for other nations to become involved: Grauheim, Porphyria, Turcowaz, Abyadia, and Nyeusi. These are still modelled on vaguely historical nations vaguely circa 1880, I don;t think it will ever be developed fully.

    A few years ago a dude turned up at the local war games club with an imaguinary world he had dreamed up and expressed interest in developing into a game. I don't think I fully understood Jono's aim, but the idea caught my imagination. For this I started putting together Army Men forces with whatever equipment I could find --- or make for myself. I also scratchbuilt some balsawood fleets, and cardboard air forces. The technology purported to be c.1941, but I have fudged this a year or so, as to accommodate all the bazookas in my inventory. The work is still on-and-off going, though Jono himself dropped out of the project and went on to other things.

    Cheers,
    Ion A. Dowman (a.k.a. Archduke Piccolo)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts