Barsoom And John Carter Of Mars

Star Wars never did much for me. it was Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and John Carter that intrigued me. I grew up first with Tarzan novels and later Burrough's more off-worldly adventures set on inhabited Mars and Venus. That's before it as all spoilt by us learning just how uninhabitable those world are - for the moment. I like to think that one day, thanks to planet re-shaping and genetic engineering something like that Burroughs solar system will exist in reality.
                             
                               Left to right: BMC Little Big Horn Indians about to become Martians with radium rifles, center, a Kinder Egg Hercues turned into John Carter, right a cheapo Chinese made Greek given a GW pistol and an Airfix spaceman given a sword..

    Carter is given a Timpo revolver and a Warhammer 40K pistol. His waist is built up and holsters and sword added.




Carter's hair was built up over the Hercules hair band. The sandals were typical of Barsoom fashion although Carter is normally depicted with boots. The two pistols is my own idea - he might not hve used two in the stories.

I'm intending to make a lot more Martians, including plant people and Martian apes so stay tuned... if your interests are not confined to more trivial things like Waterloo, Bunker Hill or Battle of the Bulge. (Actually I will soon be doing a post on the American Revolution).

PS
I just realised, I don't think carter was able to take his revolver to Mars/Barsoom. I could say his nostalgia for it caused him to kept  Barsoom scientist to make one or I could replace it with another SF pistol (read radium pistol).

Comments

  1. Great stuff! This should be fun to put together/ I like your pulp-cover-like Carter. Both the Greek and space warrior also look spot on for pulp scifi.

    I followed the littlewars discussion with interest but with nothing to add. I have been aware of John Carter for decades but I only read the first book last year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts