Barsoomian Ape

My current fascination with all things Edgar Rice Burroughs has led me to this - adding extra arms to apes! The Schleich gorilla suffers from the Dian Fossey syndrome - he is too peaceful looking. These placid vegetarians are rather different to the meat eating and ferocious apes of Burrough's books. Of course, even the gorillas encountered by the scientist will be ferocious if threatened.

Burroughs had a penchant for transplanting Earth animals to Mars and adding extra limbs. I made these extra arms from wire and putty. I soon realized that if I wanted to do a few of them this was going to be an expensive exercise. The second arm I attempted i first wrapped in gauze which lessened the amount of putty I had to use.
I would have preferred a more aggressive pose but this will have to do.




            The Blusian Foreign legion scouting party have just made an unpleasant discovery!


Comments

Popular Posts