Colonial Hollowcast Scots And Others For repair And Repainting

I had these Britains and Hilco soaking in methylated spirits for months until  it evaporated and left a grey sludge on the figures. today I boiled them in an old saucepan full of Pinoclean. I used the old tooth brush on them afterwards but most of the paint was already off.

Next step was to let them drain on an outside table and I wiped them clean with tissues. presently they are over the floor vent for the central heating. I want to make sure any liquid dries off but that is a worry with hollowcast as I don't want to leave moisture to cause future corrosion. I may again soak them in some more methylated spirits to get rid of any water. Has anyone got any ideas about this? I read something about using essence of turpentine and mineral oil to proof against corrosion.

I am intending to repaint these figures and to repair where necessary.
           I might make the mounted figures into british dragoons; they just need suitable heads.
                               I really like this pose. These Hilco figures are chunkier than Britains and would look okay next Armies in Plastic. I'll probaly paint them in a hybrid style between the original basic style and more detail.
                           The prone figure has a nice face, at least the one still with his head.
                    This is a really nice (Hilco?) cowboy which will be repaired with wire and putty.



Comments

Popular Posts