Carthage Versus Rome

I haven't painted enough Romans yet so I decided to make the Romans mostly elite and the Carthaginians, with a bigger army have to erase them from their corner of the field and the Romans have to keep their area clear of the enemy.

Each side has two cavalry units and a number of infantry units. In addition the Carthaginians have two elephants and a chariot unit of two chariots. They also have a tiny unit of archers. The Romans have a large unit of archers (actually American Indians!) and a catapult. One unit of Romans is 'super heavy' made up of some metal Blue Box figures with very formidable shields.

I wrote down the rules tonight and I am keeping them very simple this time, more so than my usual medieval rules which I could also have used. It will be a small game with just over one hundred figures a side.

Unless I say otherwise you can assume my wargames are 54/60mm. This is the first purely ancient game I can recall setting up, although I have used ancient units in fantasy games. The figure are a bit of a mishmash as I hadn't set about creating ancient wargames armies in one shot but have just added various figures over the years. The basing is also variable as my ideas on size of bases has changed over the years and there are wide intervals in acquisition, basing and painting of the figures.

The terrain is desert with a large crossable river on one side; it will halve movement. My access gap in the irregular shaped table will count as part of the river.

Stay tuned for battle report and photos. As usual I'll give Mat choice of sides.

Comments

Popular Posts