The First Book Of Wargaming FE Perry

The First Book pf Wargaming is a little book I bought in the late 70s or early 80s for $5.40, published by Argus books in 1977. I have already included, in another rpost the Plastic Warrior articles about Frank Perry's wargames.

I wouldn't normally include on my blog large sections from a book but the book was not republished and unfortunately the author is deceased; it is very hard now to get hold of a copy. I have included pictures from the book to give an idea of its nostalgic nature, very much in the HG Wells tradition.

The chapter headings are:1 Model Soldiers at work
                                         2 The importance of artillery
                                         3 The infantry weapons
                                         4 Scenery layouts
                                         5 How to use tanks
                                         6 Aeroplanes and helicopters
                                         7 Traditional enemies
                                         8 Some alternative rules
                                            Glosary






















The guardsmen British square, the river boat and the Wellsian temple are my favorite pictures in the book.


THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS














Comments

  1. A visual feast James of long vanished figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the quality of some of my photography was not good - would have been better to scan it but my current scanner scans only individual sheets passed through it.

      Delete
  2. Top book and long overdue for a reprint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can only wish. I may add some text to this before I move on to Perry's other wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's worth getting for the pictures alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful pair of books - it was this book that brought me back into the 54mm fold after years of D&D figures. My favourite picture is the trio of Johillco Lancers. If memory serves someone told me there was a third volume being prepared when he passed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts