Unknown Metal Plane

I've had this plane sitting round for a while but inspired by Man of Tin's recent plane efforts I have brought it out.

It is 1/32 scale and largely bare metal but with some paint. I think it is WW2 American and it has stars on the wing tips. There is no brand name or country of origin marked on it athough these might have been on some missing parts.

Part of the wings are hollow underneath but I don't know if originally these were covered in. The wheels fold out from inside the wings. One wing tip is broken off and is just sitting there but I could glue it,The biggest challenges are that the cockpit is empty and lacks a canopy.

The plane is missing two propellers. I don't know ifI'll try to glue replacements or completely remove the propellers and add a disk of clear plastic to represent their motion.

I'm looking for suggestions to fix the plane up. The clear canopy is the thing I'm most unsure of how to fix.

Lastly, some plane expert might be able to tell me what the plane is and what color it was. Then I'll decide whether to make it a historical plane or that of an imagi-nation.

         Thanks to Simon Smith on Google + who identified the plane as a probable Brewster Buffalo. Sorry, I misplaced your name. This plane was a single engine American fighter used in the Dutch, English and Finnish (complete with blue swastikas), Australian and even the Japanese air forces; the last occured after the Japanese overran allied positions and captured some of the planes although it was a poor match against the Zero.

The maker of the toy is still a mystery.






Comments

  1. THe foldable wings suggest a carrier based aircraft. Have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts