Large Creepy Crawlies For Fantasy Games

I bought these for three dollars today from Cheap as Chips.

Fantasy wargame players pay big bucks for metal and plastic kit creatures when they could save big by buying this sort of cheapo kids' toys thing. Particularly useful are the spider and bat. Vampire Count armies use flying bats. You can improvise flying stands or you might be able to buy them separate from GW or Ebay. The size of the creature doesn't matter that much. It is just a ruddy big bat in 28mm and smaller scales and still a big bat at 1/32. The spider could be used in an orc army by adding a goblin rider. In 1/32 I convert them from Red Indians. The rearing cobra is something I have been looking for for a while although I would have liked it higher in the air.
I have another whimsical thought, possibly brought on from some nasty things I did to flies when a little boy (took their wings off to make them easier to catch by my pet frogs, spiders and lizards!) If you want to make fairies add the fly wings on to appropriate humanoid figures!

                                         That fly is a goner...




            Apparently real spiders could not grow this big on our planet. But we are creating alternative worlds here maybe with lower gravity, different atmosphere and magic! In any case 'welcome to my nightmare'!
            Given a good paint job these dirt cheap bats can look as good as the expensive ones.

Comments

Popular Posts