Hollowcast Indians Repaired And Painted

It is very pleasing to see once battered, broken figures given new life. In painting the figures I combined something of the original colour schemes with added details. The leggings are painted in original colours but I have added the loin cloth details. The original necklaces were vaguely like bear teeth but are now beads. 

The real tribesmen did paint their clothes although the basic colour was mostly the original buckskin and colours were often uneven, not covering the whole item or combined and blended with other colours. I decided to go with the colourful interpretation of the original figures. The real loin cloths usually reached near the knees but I decided against major structural changes. For some reason the loin cloth was not moulded on the front of the figures and only at the back where it was very short so I painted them longer than where they end. The leggings, historically didn't cover these areas so I have painted on the frontal loin cloth.

I'm fairly happy with how the feathers turned out. The central figure has been given more obvious eagle feathers, unlike the colours of the factory paint jobs. The tribesmen did paint feathers but from what I have seen they seem to be on portions of the feathers rather than the whole feather.
The figures will be given a satin varnish.




Comments

Popular Posts