Plastic Cat Statues

 Yes, I am an unabashed cat fancier - any excuse to pay tribute to them. The Egyptians were right. 

So recently I bought a couple of bag of oversized animals just to use the cats in a small statue project; I really needed one facing the other way but you deal with the cards you get.

I love the Wellsian use of wooden blocks so I found some of my own and the alphabet blocks were about right. So the cats were glued with Araldite to the blocks after I had already undercoated them with car spray plastic undercoat and then sprayed with acrylic mat black, I then used bright bronze followed by some silver mixed in for highlights. The eyes and mouth were also painted - bright light green with slit black pupils and black eyeliner - I painted the sockets black or left them black first.

After the cats were glued to the bases I painted the blocks with sample sand coloured house paint mixed with some craft texture powder. (I obtained a couple of decent sized boxes of craft paints from a garage sale years ago and for three or four bucks.) It took a couple of coats and then still not satisfied I added sprinklings of sand. Then I thought the stone looked TOO gravelly and added more coats of paint Anyhow I eliminated the view of the alphabet.

You can see the Atlantic Egyptian placed between the felines for size comparison. he is about 60mm.

The cats aren't that Egyptian looking and I do have souvenir ones from Egypt but I was inspired by a 'House of Cats' I mentioned a while back and this is for a generic fantasy use.






Comments

Popular Posts