18th Century English Cavalry

I have complete half a unit of AIP AWI cavalry. Well, strictly speaking the cavalry were no longer wearing tricornes at that time so this is really a uniform combining earlier uniform with later. 

There was a time when I'd lose sleep over something like that but now I don't mind the occasional fuzzing of historical detail. The cut of the uniform is AWI but the hats are more like those worn at Culloden. The thing us that as a small boy I adored the Timpo AWI and I had only about four figures. I therefore painted these AIP with white wigs even though the rank and file no longer wore them. I COULD HAVE changed the heads but really this was about nostalgia and not 100% historical accuracy. 

In any case I may use these blokes as imagi-nations fodder, but what to use for a flag?

As for the actual figures I drill the hole out for the rider plug and slightly move it forward. The horses have the under base ridge sanded down on the grinder as the horses are already big enough and I hot glue the figures to card bases. The bases themselves are coated in PVA and sand. That is painted in shades of sand and given an earth wash. When that is dry I add flock, coffee or tea etc. Unused or dry tea is especially good to use for terrain. Dry herbs are another.











 

Comments

Popular Posts