Medieval Shooting Rules

I was asked about my wargame rules. This is part of my ancient/medieval/Renaissance and even later weapon shooting tables. Basically it uses D12s to decide if a target is killed (or loses a wound if it has  multiple wounds). It incorporates considerations of armor rather than having a separate save. I still have separate dice rolls for cover.

You can see that I have added extra weapons as the countries become more advanced. There is even an entry for rifled weapons of the later 19th century. I added this in because I have a kind of 'lost world', time and parallel universe portals etc that allow matchups between Victorian and Edwardian troops and much earlier types.

HOW IT WORKS: Look at the range to the target and decide if it is short, medium or long. Then look along from the weapon to the armor factor at different ranges. The hand written addons for more advanced firearms are just treated the same as medieval handgun for results at different ranges.

I also added results for 'loss of general' that can be absolutely catastrophic, which especially suits ancient and medieval warfare but became less so in later times so you can come up with your own list of results perhaps not as severe for later periods. Usually I make the commander pretty much a warrior on steroids so he is usually superb in combat but it is risky to commit him to melee. Sometimes, though, desperate times call for desperate measures.

On the other hand, sometimes my non commander 'hero' figures are better warriors than the commander. That becomes important, especially in melees. I'll be posting my melee rules later.

Obviously this chart could be presented better but I just have not got around to doing it yet. I am also thinking about one day using D20s instead of D12s to allow even more variation, especially for inclusion of non human troops or monsters and perhaps another grade of armor.

One additional rule I forgot to add in is that those troops that can move a half move and shoot (bowmen except crossbows) enable targets a saving throw if the shooter moved that turn.


 of

Comments

Popular Posts