Land Army, Dad's Army And Other Conversions And Repairs


I had fun playing around with these simple figures. The one at left still had it paint but no head and no cartridge boxes. I decided to give both figures older style cartridge boxes from putty, as I noticed, in historical photos, some Home Guard wore these Victorian era ones. I had some spare Scottish style caps with pompoms so chose one of these. I didn't actually find historical references for it but assumed that some Home Guard, somewhere, probably wore them, maybe left over from service in Scottish regiments or a civilian item. The poor bloke lacked a nose so I made a new one from Testors putty covered in Super Glue. it turned out rather beaky.

The figure at right was given one of a few spare heads of this style of two cornered cap which was normally worn when the helmet was not worn. As the painted figure has a helmet on his belt I made a putty one for this figure. The right-hand figure was made from a Royal Guard type body so he has no gaiters. I added putty equipment and ... a scarf! Obviously he is inspired by Pike. The missing rifle was replaced with thick wire and putty but it might be a tad long. I use heavy duty cutters for cutting this. The belts are made from paper tape, the advantage being they stay in place until Super glued.



I couldn't find a reference for what these Britains figures were intended to be and I have not decided what to do with them yet. Any suggestions readers?
                 This West Point figure had lost his head and arm so I gave him a spare arm with rifle.

                    Here is the plastic farm girl with a beret. I am looking forward to painting her.

                    The sailor at far right has the wire and putty treatment to replace the missing rifle.

                Here is the West Point cadet looking much better with the head attached with wire and Super Glue and then Araldite. I think he is getting a big head.
Obviously Dad's Army was a big influence but I am not modelling exclusively on it. Just the same, I will try to replicate some of the characters. I need a short, tubby, marching fellow for the commander. As usual, I have several projects on the boil at once.
 

Comments

Popular Posts