Old Hollowcast Mass Purchase Of Damaged Toy Soldiers

 I bought these recently. The seller wanted three times what I gave him, which was $50 Aus. I think even that price was a little generous to him. They have little collectible value as most are extensively damaged. The exceptions are the three plastic Britains Detail knights and a handful of the hollowcasts.

  Below: headless and armless cowboy, headless and footless piper


Below: Britains cavalry and cowboy. Fixing horses with missing legs takes time and is messy.
I love the Indian who should be making a parting shot but has been severed from his lower half. I might fix him eventually but it will take a lot of work.

  Figures missing arms and heads are easily fixed. Here is a Britains Guard and two other smaller figures, apparently sailors, with no brand.

I like these figures and it would not take much to fix them. Someone might be able to tell me what the two right hand figures are. One looks like a sea captain. The outer one has a military style peaked cap but is in casual pose with civilian looking red tie. I think he is one of my favorites but I am unsure how to restore and paint him. I'm looking for ideas. Stop press! The bearded figure is a station master. The one with clothing on arm is a Yachtsman! The missing arm has a cigar in the hand! The complete figure is presently for sale on Ebay at 120 pounds.



   The Indians have no brand but seem to be structurally intact, although the tomahawk handle is short.
   The three figures below are ones I did not already have and they are without structural damage. I'll most likely give them a decent paintjob. It think they are the best figures in the lot. They would be good for a Rorke's Drift battle.
The nurses are hollow at the bases and have no brand. They are significantly shorter than the other figures. Does anyone know what they are?

Lastly, I am wanting to give them a good clean. I am also happy if the vestiges of paint are removed. I read of someone boiling such figures in vinegar and water. my worry is that the figures that are largely intact have only a small hole for any liquid to drain from. I don't want any moisture left inside the figures. 

S.P: I used methylated spirits which stripped the figures in short time. A toothbrush got the remaining paint off. I then rinsed the figures in turpentine. I had a few qualms about stripping the three wounded as they still had some paint, but they will look much better repainted, likewise, some of the others, especially the yachtsman but as they are incomplete or damaged. I decided to bite the bullet as they will look spiffy once I repaint them. I don't always completely strip old figures but the problem with repainting over old paint jobs is the paint surface will often be uneven where chips came off on the original paint job.
S.P.P: I just realized there are more figures in the purchase that I did not make pics of. I'll do that soon.

   I have quite a lot of damaged hollowcasts like these but how many I actually get around to fixing remains to be seen.

Comments

  1. My, my - these fellows have been in the wars and no mistake! Quite apart from the appalling condition - and I agree $50 was any amount to ask for these, let alone 3 times as much - that the broken off bits are missing makes repair work the more problematic/ problematical. Is there anything to be said for making one good figure out of two? That might be feasible for the foot figures, but the mounted ...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least ten of the figures are complete, although with little paint left. Some of the others are easily fixed and others less so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the possibilities :) A medical officer, three wounded and two short nurses (Britains first pattern nurses - that silly round base really is it, there's no missing legs to worry about :) ) are a find, as is the civilian Yachtsman (shame he has no pipe arm, but a blank straight arm will suffice (I have the RN version that was issued with a double row of gold buttons painted on) The originals go for silly money but I found my original intact figure for 4.99 a couple of months ago, always worth surfing. Casting and restoring the pith helmets to the firing highlanders would be worth it - they look good together (as I've recently found to my tartan painting psychosis - 60 more to do !! ) and your mystery bearded figure is a civilian Station master figure - usually with a straight arm and a set of time tables. Really useful figure, I've converted him into a frock coated surgeon, a merchant navy captain (too much Onedin Line exposure - just binge watched the series again :) ) and a civilian photographer / war correspondent (my avatar :) ). If you need some blank arms for him and the Yachtsman give me a shout and I'll pop some in the post. Hate to think what the postage was but $50 Aus isn't a bad price and they'll keep you out of trouble for a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man who sold these lived in the same region as me, just a few towns away. I had a free train ticket return and a lift there so there was no postage.

      I have a photo of the yachtsman; I saved it from the Ebay pic. I'm intrigued by the naval version - any chance of sending me a pic? I'd also like to see your pics of the station master. The Ebay entry says he has a cigar but I think, as you say, it is a pipe. I could probably use a drummer's arm with the drum as a pipe. He appears to have yellow gloves?

      I have a lot of spare heads and arms, including drummer's arms, thanks very much any way.

      Delete
  4. Sent photo via your Joc's Cartoons on FB.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts