Home Metal Castings From MPC Gorilla Soldiers Painted

 It was time consuming making the mold and the castings were rather rough, but it was worth it.

  Among some individual casting imperfections was one figure with an eye socket filled in so I gave him an eye patch. I also decided to paint teeth on many of the figures to define the mouths as the detail was not great.
  I am experimenting with mounts. The spotted painted ones are Italeri from the Scots Greys sets. The flag is carefully copied from one of the movie ones in beneath the Planet of the Apes. I decided to have the writing from left to right on both sides making the letters in different positions on each side. I am assuming that the letters denote words. I love the way the 'Zs' and 'Es' are reversed which is quite likely given enough passage of time and use of the letters by a different species. They could have completely different sounds. as in the difference between today's alphabets. Even so I always see that flag as saying 'Zeb'.




  These are 60mm figures so they are taller than the ElastoWit ones. I had a couple of oddments, including a button that I made into shields. I also have some DSG shields somewhere that I'll use in the future. This has nothing to do with any of the films or original French novel, Monkey Planet. It is just my own invention. I decided to stick with the purple and black color scheme. One gorilla still has to have his glove painted. The grey shows the spray undercoat, one I don't often use but reserve, sometimes, for metal figures.

                                  Two figures are here used as artillerymen. This is a stand-in cannon until I get ones based on the movie design.
                                                       The black horse is a cowboy one.

It was not too hard to bend the right arms by using pliers. it has to be done slowly and gently to avoid busting them. Then I drilled out the hands to receive flag poles or cannon lighter. The flag is made from aluminum can.

 Eight of the mounted figures, minus horses and including flag bearer are for my friend, Tony. I'll be making and painting more figures. My ambition is to have about sixty of the shield apes on foot and twenty-four or more cavalry in two units. I'll also have some 'wild apes' and one or two 'Kong' type giant apes.

  The figures need varnishing as the acrylic paints I used can easily chip off a metal figure.

Comments

  1. All very original, Q. I have the P.of t. Apes five disc box set. Picked it up in a charity shop for a fiver. Your collection has captured the army in the 'Beneath' film perfectly. Very well done! You could raise an opposition representing Kolp's army in 'Battle for....'.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 of the movies on VHS tapes!

      Delete
    2. Disc five is about the making of the four films, quite interesting. Think its time to view the 'Battle' film again, lol.
      Michael

      Delete
    3. Kolp was also in the earlier film as second in command of the human forces. He comes across as very emotionless but determined and ruthless. It is worth keeping in mind, though, that the apes and 'tame' humans trespassed on the mutants' territory first. At this stage it is more accurate to say they were in the early stages of mutation and did not yet have special powers. They were just very weak from radiation.
      That means they would be walkovers in close combat, not that humans would have much chance against gorillas anyway. The best thing was their clapped-out old vehicles, both civilian and military and including a school bus and jeep. The mortars would also come in handy. So now I am wondering where I can get a cheap toy 1/32 American school bus.

      Delete
  2. I think ElastoWit will put out some of those figures. The emerging mutants advancing on Ape City was a great scene. It would not be too hard to convert some from WW2 and civilian figures, the main issue being how to represent the visors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts