Yesterday's 'Xmas Shopping' - Cheapo Odds And Sods Plus Nutcracker Soldiers

 Yesterday I did the usual round of the op shops and then moved on to the 'cheap shop'. The latter had some nice Nutcracker soldiers of a gameable size.

  They still tower over most everything else. but they are smaller than other wooden soldiers I have seen, so I might incorporate them in the world of Ozzz. The paint bottles give an idea of size.

   I did decide to change their 'weapons', though. These were little Xmas trees. I looked for 'oversized' weapons in my spares box. I found an assortment of axes and swords plus a metal Pepperbox pistol!

   I had to grind down the handle of the Pepperbox to fit the hand and also drill out the hand enough to take the handle. All the right hands were drilled out and sometimes the hands worked loose from the arms so had to be glued back.

  The bugler had his bugle repainted a copper color.

  I have left the ties, for the moment as if I put up the Xmas tree, for the first time in ten years, I'll place these on it. The little plastic thingos, on the ties, are useful for making SF pistols for 54mm figures - see Man of Tin blog.
                I added a finger to the soldier with Pepperbox so it looks like he is ready to shoot it. I'll paint this to match his hand. I was always fascinated by these firearms that were a bridging weapon before revolvers became the norm. Sometimes all the barrels accidentally went off at once. They were used in the Indian Mutiny and elsewhere. This figure will be the 'officer'.


                                          
   Now, op-shopping: I bought this 1979 Star Wars beastie for $1. I don't know how collectible it is or if it is worth much. I'd like to know before I start 'improving' it.

                     This cartoon cow intrigued me as it has the word, Thailand, on its belly.
                                   The yellow Roman is a plastic version of the metal Kinder Egg figure. The grenadier dog is cereal packet but unfortunately missing part of his musket. The seated figure is probably off a tractor and is the main thing that caught my attention, as it has conversion potential; I often need seated figures for wagons, limbers and other vehicles and the sunglasses make the head useful for if I want a modern bare head for another figure.
       Most of these figures will go into my 50cents box at the Sunday market stall. However, the deer might end up in my toy forests and the pelican will grace a toy riverbank.

   The grey horses are hollow and have flat inside legs. The two broken hard plastic cream-colored people were part of a people of the world series premiums.



                                      The Nutcrack men before I took away their dopey Xmas trees.

                         Mind you, those Xmas trees could become forcefield generators or siren systems like in The Time Machine.


Comments

Popular Posts