ACW Disparate Armies Battle, Cavalry Versus Infantry And Artillery - Into The Valley Of Death Rode The Yankees

 Today Mat and I played the randomly generated armies. My Confederate army consisted of two cavalry units, three infantry and five cannons. Mat's Union units consisted of two infantry, three cannons and four cavalry. Mat chose this particular army.

   I had to set up first and Mat got first turn. 

  My artillery was mainly in the center, cavalry on my, two infantry on the left and one on my right. infantry.
   Mat divided his cavalry between his left and right flank with two guns on his left and one in the center/right. His infantry was on his right flank.

   Mat began his action by advancing with his cavalry, two advancing on my right flank. One cavalry unit from his left moved to the right to threaten me on my center right. His infantry formed firing lines on his right flank.

   I withdrew from my right flank and faced two cannons to face the approaching cavalry. My two cavalry units began moving from my left flank across to the right flank. Soon one of these changed course and went back to my left flank. My infantry exchanged fire with Mat's infantry. My initial cannon and infantry shooting mauled some of the Union units.

   Mat's cavalry suffered greatly but managed to charge and drive off one of my infantry regiments. However, it was then destroyed by another infantry unit and cannon fire. His cavalry also managed to eliminate the crews from a three gun battery. But they were then destroyed by my infantry and cannon fire.

  My cavalry that had doubled back skirted some forest and assaulted a limbered Union gun, wiping out the crew. They next charged a diminished Colored regiment and wiped it out.

  BELOW: The 33rd Texas (Hispanic) Cavalry charge the Federal Colored infantry and then the Federal cannon.   

                                                         Federal cavalry in the center.
                                                  Federal cavalry suffered in their assaults.
                                                      Federal cavalry assaulting the cannon.
                                                  Musketry exchange on my left flank


         Confederate cavalry move from left to right flank to counter Federal cavalry.

   The Federal cavalry defeated a regiment of CSA cavalry and drove off an infantry regiment as well as over-running a gun battery.



                                                                          Federal center

 

                                                             Initial Federal dispositions



We played the game for just under two hours with a clear Confederate victory but with not many troops left. CSA survivors included a much reduced cavalry unit, two guns and an infantry unit. Federal forces were wiped out or driven off with only the general hightailing it.


NEXT BATTLE

We are keeping to ACW with next battle also having randomly generated armies.

Mat's Federal force: 6 Infantry, one cavalry, 2 cannons
My CSA force:   4 Infantry, 4 cavalry, 4 Cannons

We decided that my army is slightly stronger so Mat can choose to make me set u first and gets first move without having to roll for it.

I got to choose the army this time. Did I choose right?

Comments

Popular Posts