Hollowcast CSA Cavalry Unit

 When I bought a number of partially or fully repainted hollowcast ACW I decided to spruce them up with some further conversion and repainting. I still have some tidying up to do on a few figures. (The officer does not yet have his irises painted. A couple of the figures I left the faces from the previous owner as they had character.

   

                               The two central front slouch hat figures have their previous owner (Palmersaurus) faces with just a little touch up. The figure at left has some Green Stuff still showing. I think the head was meant for a Belgian figure but it works as an ACW one.
    I had begun to lead towards unflocked bases for more traditional figures but some I had already flocked so I might flock the lot.

  The bases here are wooden, some from children's picture blocks but the figures in full rocking horse gallop required longer bases. I cut these from wooden blinds.

  Here is the last figure I was doing. I have Super Glued him to the base and sprinkled baking soda around the hooves and then added more Super Glue over it. To further strengthen the hold, I added small stones (collected from camping trips), especially where one or two hooves are not quite touching the bases.
 Usually I glue paper flags to the aluminum but this time I painted the flag. Initially I was going to depict the Confederate national flag, The Stars and Bars before realizing a square flag would not be the right proportion for the bars. Instead, I painted the Battle Flag. There were a number of versions. The earlier ones tended to have twelve stars and the later ones thirteen, with another one in the center; this is an 1861 version. Not all battle flags were square as some were rectangular and not all had the white edging. Some Texan flags had a larger star in the center.
   You can see the baking soda yet to be brushed off the figure at left. The baking soda on the bases is to be painted over.
                                     Here is shown the blind material the bases were cut from.

                                                  This regiment will see battle tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts