Redian Columns Invade Lionia

 
After an insufferable insult to the Redian consul Redia has invaded Lionia. The Mad King Ontoona, the Magnificent has marshalled his mostly Lionic Christian kingdom but Muslims and pagans have also joined battle.

  Most of his army are armed with close combat weapons or ancient firearms. A few even have bows.

                                                       Below: A Lionian horde advances.

                                                         Lionians defend the Lion Temple.
                                          Lionians advance on the outnumbered Redians.
                                                               Lionian map of the battlefield
                                                            Redian map of the battlefield
The Redian line
                                            Lionian pagan bow militia and the king, himself.
                                                             The battlefield prior to battle
                                                    

Lionian bowmen versus redian gatling. The gatling won.
                          Lionian regular cavalry are shot down in their heroic charge.
                                    Redian General Caine in grey cloak with his staff
                                                            The Redians are outnumbered.


                                          Atrocity - mutilation of the dead by the Lionians.


Game Mechanics

For this game I used my ACW rules where the rifle fire power is a little less than in Funny Little Wars rules designed for a later period. next time we will use FLW rules.

  We each drew a map and indicated deployment of troops.

  Mat had the Lionians who were largely sword and shield me and others with antiquated firearms.  However I gave the Lionians almost twice the numbers. Their two cannons could fire every other turn. The Redians had one cannon and a Gattling, both counted as horse artillery. Zulus and Redian cavalry were elite.

  My infantry were in the center left of my line of battle. it was supported by a Gattling and a cannon. My right flank had no deployed troops as I was not going to try to capture objectives already held by Lionia on Mat's left flank.

  My Gattling was out of action two moves due to jamming when three ones were thrown. When it did operate it was devastating.

  On reflection I could have kept the troops even more compact to nullify enemy numbers. In the end my forces were overwhelmed, although my cavalry made some very effective charges on the enemy flank, The Lionians lost more troops and slightly more units but I held none of the objectives. Of my original army the general and staff, a cannon, a cavalry unit and much depleted infantry unit survived.

  FIGURES were a mix of different brands with the Redians Armies in Plastic and old hollowcast Britains. I used a mix of colonial and home service uniforms. The Lionians were a mix of my Abyssinian conversions, Arabs, various African tribesmen including Zulus. Brand origins were mixed with AIP providing much of the army.

  

Comments

Popular Posts