Marvel Character Now an Orc With Friends
First up is a converted cheapo copy of Herald Indian converted into a goblin; it is basic with Green Stuff hoodie. The mount is a zebra with fish head. The other critter was one of an old set from decades agao and is somewhat collectible (or was before I painted it).
I haven't painted the zebra-fish but it looks ok like that and just needs a base. Other goblins I have mounted on roosters and various invented creatures I have made. I intend goblins to be smaller than orcs, much like the Warhammer ones. They also have lighter, brighter green skin than the orcs.The bowman started life as a tal plastic Indian (I forget the brand) with new wire bow added , putty shoulder pad and Eureka Miniatures head (they did some quite large heads that are good for bigger scales than intended).
Next, my joy; isn't he lovely? His bite is as bad as his 'bark'. I wanted an old rusty look to the slapdash armor.
I'm not sure about the 'hot pants', though. There is a bit of stray Superglue on the hand which I'll cut off - the glue, not the hand.
There was not that much detail on the face but some careful painting helped. I like the pig-like appearance of the nostrils.
Size comparison with human: The man is raised by his base but he is obviously puny next to the orc. I like the orcs to be heftier and a bit bigger than the humies. I'll probably put this orc with the 'Big-uns' unit as he is bigger than many of the other orcs. The Airfix medieval I painted in the 80s; I even remember the details of sitting by a wood fire in my then rented farm house. He and some other plastic figures got brittle over time; this one has been given a new halberd, his left hand replaced with a green Stuff one and his legs glued back to his feet. I need to paint over the bare plastic which shows above the halberd.
So there you have it. I was really drawn to the rhino helmet which prompted me to buy the figure and it was, I think, less than a dollar. That is why i enjoy rummaging around Sunday second hand markets. I don't expect, necessarily to pick up rare collectibles but as I convert fantasy figures there is plenty of cheap material around.
STOP PRESS:
Some of the larger collector figures are, apparently, worth a few hundred dollars but I could not find a reference to the small one I obtained.
Well, that is interesting and I almost wish I had kept him as is and made rules for superheroes and their enemies. However, I was never that big on super heroes. As a boy, my favorite characters (apart from a long list of funny ones) did NOT have super powers but were still strong - Western characters, Tarzan, Korak, Turok, Jungle Jim etc. But I did have some time for Spiderman and Lizardman.
When I had a second wave of comic buying, in the 80s, I did buy some Jonah Hex, Superman and Batman, with my favorite character being Catwoman, probably as she was as sexy as Hell and morally ambiguous.



Your conversion looks like Gamorrean Guards from star Wars on steroids.
ReplyDeleteI looked up who they were and I can see what you mean. This is one of my favourite figures. My conversions are usually my favourites.
ReplyDeleteCharacterful conversions , most effective. I particularly like the goblin rider.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland