Towards a New Campaign

I have begun work on refining my army lists and other aspects for the next fantasy campaign. How does one write a points list which includes plate armored knights, mid 19th century level regular troops and everything in between?
  The  cheapest troop type, at half a point each, is a European peasant armed with edged weapons. I am adding peasant longbowmen, potentially effective but with leadership six (the lowest) the same as other peasants but more expensive. Tribal tribesmen with shield and edged weapon are worth a point each. Then there are more expensive longbowmen without the peasant status and leadership seven. Plate armored troops are more costly also. They have leadership nine, higher weapon skill and so on. Regulars with flintlocks are cheaper than the knights but more expensive than the tribesmen. Then there are a small number of troops with percussion muskets. Also provided for are elite troops, exotic, even non-human, choices and so on. When I have finished the points list I'll do a post highlighting them.
  Mat tends to use a of of 'antiquated' and tribal types because they are cheaper. This means his armies might be bigger.
  Meanwhile as more than forty years have passed since the last campaign (which actually ended just over a  month ago) Mat and I will have to go through our character list and eliminate all the characters over fifty, probably over thirty if we get realistic. They will be either too old to fight or dead! Then we will have the long process of generating new characters, We usually have around twenty characters a side.
  The next campaign will be another colonial island one so we will be discovering new islands to conquer, that is unless the locals are too powerful!
  We will still be using our AWOI and Napoleonic figures but also small numbers of Indian Mutiny, ACW and other mid 19th century type troops that will indicate use of percussion muskets. This is a fun part in a fantasy game to have freedom to pick and choose from wars and my toy soldier collection. The  main guide is that Bogavania mainly wears blue and white, Beerstein, yellow and red and Fezia purple as well as red, black, pink and white. Beerstein has only one unit with percussion weapons, a unit of cavalry. I am thinking of using some Britains hollow-cast 'ceremonial' cavalry and converting BMC Little Big Horn cavalry as dismounted versions. I figure the best way to get good use from the new firearm technology with cavalry will to sometimes dismount them in cover to shoot.
  I am already thinking of the campaign after this one, which will be ACW level.

Comments

Popular Posts