Recently I bought a couple of cockroaches. Sometimes I see a cheapo toy figure and just see possibilities. I did not want to make it look like a real cockroach but a beast for a Chaos, probably Nurgle, rider. Games Workshop makes kits of fly-like creatures with riders and that probably inspired me but my 'model' cost me only a couple of dollars; A GW Warhammer kit would probably cost over $50. The leg wire and bead replacements are more upright than a real cocky's legs. I also coated them with PVA and some flock to make them look hairy. The chain was added, some Yowie Blue ringed octopus legs for probuscis and ovipositor . The seat was made from bits of costume jewellery I inherited from my mum and picked up from op shops.
The rider was a true legend two-headed fantasy orc (?) and his bottom half is cut from an Airfix omnibus passenger. He looked exposed sitting up so high so I coated him with Super Glue and beads for armor. it does look strange but this is a fantasy figure so it is meant to be.
The shield is made from a button and the weapon is a halberd-type weapon from a Temu set.
Undercoated black, it starts coming together. It also fills any deep crannies in the armor and mount.
I can hardly wait to paint this one and it will look very different then.
By the way, I read that cockroaches are really good for the garden! There is a lot of hysteria around insects, designed to make us spend money on various poisons. Cockroaches can carry some nasty germs and I don't want them inside but when I find the odd one in the house I catch it and put it back outside where it will either continue churning vegetable and insect matter back into the soil or get eaten by my chooks and ducks!

Comments
Post a Comment