Simba Rebellion

 Some time ago I played a wargame where the Belgian paratroopers and white mercenaries had to rescue Belgian civilians from the communist backed Simbas at Stanleyville. I think the rescue, in the game, was mostly successful. In reality the Simbas were defeated but they did toture, rape and massacre many of their civilian captives.

   Congo mercenaries: The white mercenaries were well armed and experienced. They used jeeps for mobility. Below, some mercs. They tended to wear only basic equipment as they carried supplies in jeeps. They wore helmets, berets, soft caps and slouch hats. 

                                                      This merc looks like he enjoys his job.




  Although the Simba rebellion was leftist led and backed by communist nations Cuba, China and Russia, it was also tribal and rebels, initially, used many traditional weapons. This warrior would not be too out of place in the Zulu war.



                                                 Simbas often wore lion skin trim on hats.






 Modelling the war: 
The reason I find this a good subject is that there is room for a lot of individuality in figures. Mercenaries were somewhat casual in their clothing. The Simbas' equipment and clothing were improvised and varied from primitive traditional to modern with a mixture of army and civilian attire. 

The Simbas did make some use of bows although I did not find any pictorial references. They also used knives, machetes, bolt action rifles and limited numbers of assault rifles.

Government forces, especially mercenaries and Belgians were better equipped. Heavy machineguns on jeeps were the norm. Assault rifles were typical. They also had some air support.

Cubans were also present. Cuban exiles flew planes for the government. There were some Cuban troops and advisors on the Simba side.

FIGURES
I used Crescent and Britains paratroopers for Belgians. The mercenaries I made from paratroopers, Airfix WW2 Australians and HK swoppet seated figures to sit in jeeps. The jeeps were also H.K. plastics. Government troops I made from WW2 GIs. Simbas were African tribal figures and conversions from Red Indians (some given modern firearms) and various other figures.

POLITICAL CONTEXT
America supported the government as the communist nations supported the rebels. There were also strategic minerals involved. Belgium wished to rescue its civilians.

        

Comments

Popular Posts