Ancient Egypt Versus WW1 Soldiers Thoughts
It won't happen for a month or so but it will happen. The idea has been planted and may grow in increasingly strange directions.
I'll probably keep it 'ordinary' to start with - just ancient (living) human warriors versus WW1 tank and small army. So what have I got available?
Presently I have three units of ancient Egyptian infantry (that is 24 to a unit). They include one unit of large Supreme figures, one of metal castings copies of Cherilea, and one of Toyway Egyptians.
That is not enough when facing a tank and machineguns. I also have Aztec and various native American archers that are not too far removed from ancient Egyptians if I pretend not to see any feathers. I could easily put together three or four units of those. I also have quite a few sword and shield tribal types. Twenty four of the Sudan Hat figures are fairly plainly dressed and not too out of place as ancient Egyptians although the shields are mostly round and not the semi-rectangular types. I also have a few assorted Egyptians and mounted general (a conversion). I might also paint up another Egyptian regiment from a bunch of left over metal castings plus some Expeditionary Force figures. That might be a pain as not all the shields came out properly and would have to be repaired.. I thought I might paint these ones as Nubians.
So I am looking at eight or nine Egyptian units including archers. I could throw in a couple of chariots. So I could have 200 in the Egyptian force. Would some of these units come from reserve?
On the other side I figure using one tank and one or two units of British WW1 infantry (or I could use earlier colonial types as it is fantasy after all). There would also be the crew of the tank. So I am thinking forty to fifty men. Do they need a helicopter as well? If it has machine guns I'd say that would be overkill and not part of the WW1 vibe anyway, although a bi-plane could also be used but again probably would that be over-kill?
Now, I am thinking, if there is plenty of terrain things could go badly for the modern force, especially if they are attacked from a number of sides at once. Also the tank will have a breakdown rule.
FOLLOW UP VERSIONS
* Stronger Egyptian force - with Undead skeleton units and mummies with supernatural powers like hypnosis. A Sorcerer who can cast some nasty and devastating spells. Catapults if I say it is the Ptolemic period. Ancient Greek and Roman warriors. The Egyptian force could then be edging up to 300 or more.
*Stronger modern force. Bi-plane with machine guns and one or two bombs! A second tank. Additional infantry and cavalry. Artillery.
Obviously it is about having enough balance for an enjoyable game or objectives that can allow a weaker force to still win.
POSSIBLE OBJECTIVES:
*The modern force must capture a powerful or symbolic relic and the ancients keep it or defend it. Or perhaps it is rescuing some archeologists or diplomats.
* The modern force must get off the other end of the table. The Egyptians try to prevent this.
*The modern force must capture a strongpoint and the ancients must stop them.
* Annihilation. Wipe out the enemy or destroy a certain percentage 70% perhaps. Obviously that has to be calculated so that the Egyptians are not penalised for merely losing many more troops as guys with spears facing machineguns are going to die in droves. So a percentage rather than absolute numbers would work.
Some of the warriors who might take part in the campaign:
If things go too badly for the invasion force it might try again and resort to gas attack dropped from plane or shells or released with the right wind conditions?

Comments
Post a Comment