Cows Have Grass

 The cows have bases now, using my usual technique of basing. Stiff card (like that used in board games) cut to size and coated with PVA with sand, sand paint job followed by brown wash and after dry appropriate dabs of PVA and mixed flock; I like static grass best as it stands up like real grass but it is more expensive and less common than the other type. I tend to mix the two types and also sometimes with a little sand if I want a less green look. A word of caution is to avoid breathing in he static grass as it probably is very bad for lungs. Also shake and blow away loose grass before final spray coats of varnish or it will stick to the models and look very silly, although I suppose the cows or toy soldiers could have been rolling around on the grass. Still, you wouldn't expect to see great clumps of it sticking to noses.
 If you are like me you acquire a lot of toy animals when you buy mixed bags of figures from garage sales (yard sales for you Yanks) and op shops (charity shops - op is short for opportunity). Some of them are quite nicely moulded even for cheapo figures. Britains and other English firms made some very nice farm and zoo ranges in the 50s and 60s but a lot of them are brittle now so I like to make use of the cheapo ones, some that are copies of British figures and others that are original.  below are some wild grazing animals. I'm going to call them antelope but I am fairly sure they are not. They might even be African. I have seen them before but can't recall their names. If anyone would like to enlighten us feel free.

Generally I like to scatter a few animals around the wargame table, although, with all the shooting from toy soldiers and loud exclamations and guffaws from players  am sure they would go into hiding. They could also be used in a role playing game with hunters, explorers, quests and whatnot.


Comments

Popular Posts