DSG Crusaders

Not long ago Bob ordered a huge number of DSG direct from the maker. I placed my order with his. I already featured the mounted Romans and Vikings. I also bought twenty archers (to be featured another time). I ordered a handful of crusaders to supplement my existing units.

They are lovely figures and come already painted although you can get them unpainted. It saves time when you want to start playing with the figures and not painting them. The other bonus is the PVA paint bonds with the PVA plastic is fairly much impervious to wearing off. Bob got the figures without bases as we base them on larger bases anyway. Instead I got a heap of extra spare shooting arms.

Me being me, however, I could not help tinkering with the figures. I didn't want to undercoat the whole figure as it would defeat the time saving purpose of getting painted figures. So I painted weapon shafts (missed one I see) and the rear of the shields. I also gave the armour a black wash. I enhanced the faces with eyes, mouths and highlights This was not too hard to paint over. The tunics were more difficult as unpainted white plastic. I just wanted to add subtle shadows in a pale grey. I had to make a couple of tries to cover the area as the un-undercoated plastic doesn't take well to painting.

Below you can see them with my usual medieval basing of 4cm by 4cm bases with a mixture of bare ground and grass.




Comments

Popular Posts