Steam Powered Wright Brothers Plane

I have had this primitive plane for a while now and wondered how to use it in a wargame. I decided on a steam punk look and use, envisaged as pre-WW1. I wanted the pilot to sit rather than lay and to make the engine look like a steam engine. I had a small scale 'Rocket' steam engine and cut the wheels off. I Super Glued it on and added some green Stuff underneath to strengthen it and give a good base, The saet came from a larger scale car kit. I trimmed the seat and glued it on. The pilot is an Airfix kit figure who looks suitable in his great coat. (It gets cold up there). He still needs some arms some work on the head and some controls.

I may add a few bombs for the pilot to drop by hand.





Comments

  1. Such an effective conversion,it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so far fetched as you may think. I recently came across some pre-war (early 1900s) hobby magazines that gave designs and building instructions for steam powered model aircraft. I wondered who's stoke the fire in a single seater?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. I wonder about it too. Short ranged flight? I seem to recall some such designs that didn't get that far off the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts