Repairs And paint Jobs From The Workbench

I have been having some fun fixing recently obtained figures or adding more detail.

Below: A made in China copy of an English make of a sturdy farmer. (Someone might tell me the manufacturer of the original). He had a deformity on his left cheek so I have made it into a medical patch to cover some kind of wound which is bleeding through the gauze. The figure had been painted competently by Alan Copsey but I added some simple shading and facial details as well as painting brass buttons.


Another acquisition from Alan, this looks like a Charbens figure. I like Charbens figures as they are simple but have reasonable detail on faces. I like their chunky and animated style. It had a missing flame so I made a new one from wire and Green Stuff. I'll paint the figure khaki and probably give him a black commando beret but I am open to suggestions.

As a child I had only a handful of metal hollow-cast figures so now I am gradually making up for it.  The horse leg has been repaired with wire and putty, not quite as daunting as I once thought.
I love Timpo but they do not have the same resilience as when I played with them as a child. This figure was originally one of Dave Palmer's wargame figures which I added some more paint detail to. His arm broke off recently so I have resolved to 'build him back, better than before'.
I don't know the maker of the machine gunner. I think he is meant to be a British machine gunner but he could pass as a Russian. Anyhow, all I have done is paint eyes, eyebrows, lips and rosy cheeks. The rosy cheeks thing belongs with the old hollow-cast but I extend it to plastics. Of course, if I wanted a model finish I would blend the cheeks but I have elected here not to.

I know people who say one does not need to paint eyes and that it is even a virtue not to because you can't really see them on a battlefield. (I think it is more about people with fading eyesight not being able to paint them properly). Sure I can see 'em and hear they bloody well are! How is he going to aim his machine gun if he has no eyes to see with? Anyway giving them eyes gives them souls and I am their god. (Er, I am being metaphorical here, you understand so don't call the men with straight jackets).




                                  Below is a Crescent hollow-cast. He had a bearskin head but I cut it off as I want to make him into something else. The figure is under sized and inferior in quality to Britains.
 
                      This is one of the cheapo plastic figures I got a while ago from an op shop but forgot to include him before. For a change I painted him as a Negro. That means I could use him for Americans in WW2 and the years after that or as an African figure in the various post colonial African civil wars, such as the Congo. (I could have used him in my Congo game about two years ago which is also in one of my older posts). The figure itself is a copy of a Matchbox figure and smaller than the original.



 

Comments

Popular Posts