Two Winston Churchills

I picked up these two metal figures some time ago and mostly repainted them.
I had a little trouble with overcoats for the grey coated one. I coated him with Humbrol gloss varnish and. after a few days to dry, sprayed a semi mat artist fixative over that. This caused the varnish to badly crinkle. I thought I had tested the sprays on another figure but had not noticed as it was an affect not closely perceivable. It was much more pronounced on Winston. I had sprayed the mat on only one side, which slightly lessened the disaster.

In the end I repainted the coat and trousers as the worst affected. I used a semi gloss grey. The blue suited figure I repainted only the face, hands, cigar and hat. It looks like he might have lost the tips of his Victory fingers. I also added some dark blue lining around the edges of the coat.






 Winston Churchill is one of my favorite historical characters. He was heroic and pugnacious, from his participation in the cavalry charge at Omdurman and escape from the Boers in South Africa to his leadership of Britain in WW2. 

Churchill often carried a pistol and he did a great deal to encourage the development of the tank. He once test fired the Tommy gun at a range.

Churchill was a champion of the British Empire and Great Britain's leader in its darkest and its finest hours.

Churchill had an actor who was a double for him so maybe that explains why there are two Churchills in the picture.

   He also was multitalented in his amazing output of books and his paintings.

Comments

Popular Posts