A New Project, Britain's Land Army

 I recently 'restored' (I think renovated is a more appropriate term) a Britains farm woman. Then some little voice said, 'paint her as a Land Army girl'. 

The land army was a way for Britain to make up for lost WW2 manpower on the land by mobilizing women who volunteered.

I have two Britains seated land ladies somewhere. However, this particular figure was just a regular farm girl in overalls. The Land Army colors were khaki overalls or pants (generally a lighter khaki and the pants sometimes a mustardy color), dark green pullover and light khaki shirt. Sometimes, in hot weather, shorts were worn. There was a special slouch hat issued and also a green beret. The ladies were not actually part of the army and the dress code does not seem to be not strict. So various 'civilian' items could be worn. head hankies (there is probably a better term) might be worn and other color shirts.

The lady at left is a hollocast Britains figure. She has barely any paint left on her and I had to fill in a hole in her chest, which I did with Green Stuff. I wanted a contrast so I painted the top with rolled up sleaves as the green pullover rather than a light khaki shirt. The pink head cover is another contrast. the pink was so garish that I added some white spots to tone it down. The base is a plastic disk but could also be made from a metal washer etc.

The other woman/girl is a plastic farm worker which I am going to add a hat to and paint. Although a cheapo figure she is quite nice, with an endearing face. The quaint little building is quite old, maybe 1950s or earlier and has not been altered.





I notice that most plastic female farm workers in overalls have buckets. I want to find or convert some with pitchforks and other implements. 

Most of the female farm workers I have are in dresses. So, a minor project has begun to obtain some suitable metal and plastic females to create a little scene, perhaps with some friendly Home Gurad marching past.

Comments

Popular Posts