Organising a New Campaign & the Meaning of Life

 One thing I do when swimming laps at the pool is think up new ideas for my war-gaming! I sometimes  hear of  gamers and collectors getting depressed. Even when things seem bleak I always find too many things to love about life. Like the hero of Camus The Outsider, I appreciate the everyday pleasures like the feel of the sun on my skin, the pleasure of swimming and other every day relaxations.

  Painting my toy soldiers also immediately relaxes me, as does my other hobby of sketching and cartooning. Especially, I like creating something new, a conversion of an existing figure and even creating imaginary uniforms and creatures. I am also, essentially, world building and rule making.

  Among my new ideas for my fantasy campaign are new characters and objects that can be purchased from national treasuries. The major powers of Mat and myself have, from our colonial campaign, slightly more credits available now. The new assets potentially available include dinosaur mounts, magic weapons, improved firearms, statues of angels with supernatural powers and hot air balloons. The new characters include treasurers, spies/assassins, snake charmers (who can neutralise poisonous snakes used by assassins), doctors and nurses.

  Mercenaries include Hill men, dwarves and horse archers.

  Over 40 years have passed since the campaign ended (determined by dice roll). This means most of our last characters will have died or be too old so we will need to determine lists of new heroes and leaders, wizards and priests. Our countries are now roughly approaching mid 19th century levels of development. We still have no restriction on maintaining archaic units, including plate armored knights, long bowmen and so on, if that floats our boats. There is no reason why wizards should not stick around - this is fantasy even if technology continues to advance. The regular troops, however, now mostly have flintlock muskets and are starting to have percussion muskets. Other nations are at earlier stages of development. For example the Patrans have ancient levels of technology but have some cannons due to their earlier defeat of Fezia. They might also have, through trade, some musket units. The Aztecs some armored units.

Comments

Popular Posts