World War Two Airfix German

     I painted this figure recently to add to some other Airfix I painted many years ago. The emblems on the helmet are painted, not decals, 

     One thing I was not sure of was the color of the respirator tube, at least that's what I think it is. Is it bare metal or painted grey? It is hard to tell in illustrations.

     The uniform is early war, with the darker Stone Grey trousers and dark blue collar. Why is it that the fascists always have the nattiest uniforms?



 WW2 is not my favorite period, probably because WW2 figures were always so ubiquitous as to become boring and also because the uniforms are, basically, dirt colored. However, every once and a while I paint a few WW2 toy soldiers. The German uniforms are a bit spiffier and have some interesting camo variations, especially for the SS so I might paint some more in the near future.

Comments

  1. In my view one of the reasons for the popularity with war gamers of the German armies of WW2, is the colours. The early war not so much, perhaps, but later on the camouflage colouring of uniforms and materiel gives them a bit of a lift. The way I do the camo is intended to make the vehicles and troops stand out from the table. Mind you, the consistent uniform brown and equipment green of the Soviets, together with the occasional red battle flag, gives them a certain 'je ne sais quoi' as well.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camo can be interesting. I like the spackle of WW1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very convincing helmet 'decals'. Great overall paint-job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. The main thing (apart from a steady hand) is a fine brush with a good tip. Of course, just painting a single figure is one thing but I would be a bit cross eyed if I was sitting down to paint 20. Actual decals are not painless either as they have to be positioned correctly and too much repositioning causes them to crack.

      Delete
  4. Q, some very fine brush work on those helmets!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts